Monday, June 28, 2010

Picnic at Hanging Rock


"What we see and what we seem are but a dream...a dream within a dream."


On Saturday 14th February 1900 a party of schoolgirls from Appleyard College picniced at Hanging Rock near Mt. Macedon in the state of Victoria. During the afternoon several members of the party disappeared without trace.

This film truly enchanted me like a dream. Like i would be in a different world. Like i would be at Hanging Rock too in the hot summer midday and i would like to solve the mystery. What happened here?On on the rock. Like the place would be magnetic and those, who can feel it,they can't resist. They are becoming one with the rock. No one knows what happened,not even the one who returned in safe by chance.
The music is so beautiful, fitting with the pictures of nature, it's wonderful, amazing and terrifying in the same time.
I watched i twice already and i wish to read the book by Joan Lindsay.Of course it didn't release in Hungary. I have to get it from Amazon i guess.

A search for the missing schoolgirls and their governess continued spasmodically for the next few years without success. To this day their disappearence reamins a mystery.
The trailer:


"Meet me love when day is ending.
I love thee for thy highborn grace,
thy deep and lustrous eyes,
for the sweet meaning of thy brow
and for thy bearing so high
I love thee not because thou art fair,
softer than down, smoother than air,
not for the cupids that do lie
in either corner of thine eye.
Wouldst thou then know what it might be?
'Tis i love thee 'cause thou lovest me."




2 comments:

  1. hello lilla!
    please forgive me for not answering your last mail... it was a really crazy and twisted time, since my cat was first missing, then sick, then in surgery, and now back home...
    OH I once read about this film too! and thought I would like to see it as well. Few days ago I saw "Chéri" with goregous Michelle Pfeiffer & Rupert Friend, very beautiful film !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva!

    Oh and it Yentl fine now?I really hope she is. Poor kitty.
    I actually have this film so i can give it to you,if you wanna,and we can watch it as well,as you wish:) And i am so longing to read the book.Actually there are two.The first is Picnic at Hanging Rock,and the second is the last chapter which was published 3 years after Joan Lindsay's death,and it's title is Secret of Hanging Rock and it kinda gives a solutions.I own the second book,i found somebody who has it in e-book and he was so kind and sent it to me.I am still searching for the first book with not too much success.
    I haven't heard about Chérie yet,did you watch it on TV,or rented from library?I saw some cool films too in the last days,but i think better i write it in email;)
    Greets
    Lilla

    ReplyDelete